Monday, September 2, 2013

How are Diamonds formed?

How Do Diamonds Form? (Geology.com)

This is an online article explaining different ways diamonds are naturally formed.

I'm interested in how the earth works.  I picked to research how diamonds are formed because they are very rare and valuable.  I liked this website because it described four different ways that diamonds are formed.  It also had some great pictures that helped me understand what was happening and where.  I was very surprised to learn that coal doesn't have much to do with diamond formation.  Most of them are formed deep inside the earth in "diamond stability zones" and are brought to the surface by volcanos.  Some other ways diamonds are formed are in subduction, from asteroid impacts, and in space.  However, none of these has a whole lot to do with coal, which is how most people believe diamonds are formed.  This makes me wonder why so many people believe that diamonds are formed from coal.

No comments:

Post a Comment